Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Friday Afternoon. How I made My Nigerian Puff Puff

 How I Spent My Friday Afternoon



If you are like me, I love food and if I love something I will go the extra mile to do it for myself. I have been wanting to have Puff Puff for such a  long time considering the fact that I have not had it for over 7 years plus. I thought I had forgotten about it until I went for the last Nigerian Independence Day Celebration here in Melbourne....oh my goodness see whats on the menu Puff Puff....I was the most excited person out there that day and did not even try anything else on the menu until I left, even when I got home, I was still thinking about it.
So since then till now, I have tried it a few times and here you go yeaaaaaaaaaa, I made it after a few attempt though.  So sorry you can't try it but I wish you could lol.



How to make puff puff

2 cups (or about ½ liter) flour
2 cups (or about ½ liter) water
½ cup (or about an eighth of a liter) sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
Some vegetable oil

How to Prepare Puff Puff
  1. Mix the flour, sugar, water, and yeast together until the batter is smooth.
  2. Wait until the dough has risen. 
  3. Put vegetable oil into a pot, until it is at least 2 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter balls), and place on low heat.
  4. Test to make sure the oil is hot enough by putting a 'drop' of batter into the oil. If it is not hot enough, the batter will stay at the bottom of the pot rather than rising to the top.
  5. When the oil is hot enough, use a spoon to dish up the batter, and another spoon or spatula to drop it in the oil, sort of in the shape of a ball.
  6. Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
  7. Turn the ball over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown.
  8. Use a large spoon or something like that to take it out of the oil. I usually place them on napkins right away to soak up some of the excess oil.
  9. If desired, you can roll the finished product in table sugar or powdered sugar to make it sweeter.